[lbo-talk] Re: Stupid Gay White Men

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 2 07:19:03 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Good Morning LBO!! What a beautiful day it is in New York. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and stupid. That is one of the great things about being a Stupid Gay Man (SGM – I always wondered what that abbreviation meant): you wake up content in your dumbness.

LBO was sure busy last night. I was actually trying to educate myself by going to an Ingmar Bergman movie. All of my smart friends say he makes great movies. I have to admit I can’t see what they get out of them – they ain’t even in English! But at least they got English words along the bottom. But without the bouncing ball it is hard to keep up.

As for this Nader guy, I guess I am just too dumb to understand why he is the best candidate. I mean, he can’t even win. Also, he is accepting Republican help and money in his campaign. Aren’t the Republicans the ones pushing that amendment to outlaw gay marriage?

Now I think we all agree it would be a disaster to re-elect Bush – definite hater in the house. But Kerry – damn – only civil unions, not marriage. But I was thinking (which I know is a dangerous thing to do since I am stupid. Thank goodness LBO is there for me and those like me), if civil unions offer all the benefits of marriage, who cares? They can call it a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if they like. Why this attachment to the word marriage? Also, wouldn’t establishing a clear division between civil union (a secular contract) and marriage (a religious rite) be a good thing? Wouldn’t it help to draw a line between church and state?

I am glad we also agree about Nader’s prudishness. I guess I worry that it would be a bad thing to have a sexual unsophisticate as President in this time of sexual change. But then again, he may be only the ballot in only a handful of states, so no need to worry about him winning.

I guess I am stuck with my stupid belief that having a President who doesn’t hate gays and lesbians is something to work for. I am not smart enough to figure out how campaigning for a homophobe who cannot win is in the best interests of my community.

I guess since I am embracing my stupidness, I also have to admit I do not understand the poll numbers that were posted to the list. I see that Muslims are supporting Nader, but why does that also mean that they support gay marriage? When you support a candidate does it mean that you support every position he takes?

Well, that’s enough for now. My brain is starting to overheat. Time for a nice long wallow in ignorance. Thanks again for setting me straight. I don’t know what I’d do without LBO.

Brian Dauth Stupid Gay Man (and proud of it!)