[lbo-talk] Re: What's wrong with civil unions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 2 21:59:19 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: What's wrong with civil unions
>Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com, Fri Jul 2 20:58:59 PDT 2004
>
>On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, DeborahSRogers wrote:
>
>> Everything or nothing, depending on how you define "civil union."
>
>Exactly. And there is no reason at all you can't define it as the legal
>equivalent of marriage. You could even amend the DOMA to do that,
>reserving marriage to hets, and defining civil unions as same-sex, and
>saying that the term "spouses" designated by either would be equivalent in
>all rights and duties in all federal laws and regulations. It would be
>hard to oppose. Bush himself said he was for it.
>
>There are several advantages to such a strategy even if (perhaps
>especially if) you think the ultimate desired end state is gay marriage.
>
>1) The majority of Americans are already for it.
>
>2) The backlash it would generate would force that majority to define
>itself as progressive.
>
>3) It would divide conservatives and unite progressives, weakening them
>and strengthening us, where gay marriage does the opposite.
>
>4) It would make progressives the defenders of family, taking that arrow
>out of their quiver.
>
>5) It would force conservatives to emphasize that they are for
>discrimination, against equality, for intolerance, and for letting
>religion dictate what goes on in our private lives -- all things that are
>unAmerican, and repulsive to the majority, and which would further push
>the political imaginaire to the left.
>
>5) It would create facts on the ground in the form of families that could
>never be torn asunder. They would gradually grow until they entangled
>every institution in society.
>
>6) It would be so be called marriage anyway. People would talk about
>long- term gay couples as married because they already do it now. It
>would simply increase the scope of their visibility. People would even
>have weddings to go with them. The unitarian church I went to was having
>them in the 1970s.
>
>7) By specifically protecting homosexuals in law, it would basically make
>opposing homosexuality illegal
>
>7) Eventually, for all those reasons, gay marriage would become such a
>normal part of life that get the words in the law changed would be like
>changing the sodomy law. It would seem like an anachronism.
>
>It would take decades for all this to happen, but that's the whole point.
>A culture war is a campaign that goes on for decades. That's what
>happened with civil rights and abortion rights. That's what will happen
>gay marriage rights. It seems absurd to imagine a culture war in any
>other time frame. So the question is not how do win the battle, nor what
>do we want most. The question is, how do we win the war. You do that by
>planning for the counterattack you know will come. You do it by taking
>the the strategic moral heights. And you do that by defining the frame in
> [...]

I dare you Democrats to begin the culture war by challenging John Kerry to define civil union as an institution that grants *exactly* the same rights, benefits, and duties as marriage does, rather than as an institution that is 1049 federal rights short of equality to marriage that civil union is today. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>