[lbo-talk] "Stupid Gay Men on the Left"

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 22:36:54 PDT 2004

Yoshie wrote:

> Grant wrote:
>
> >These kind of arguments are fine in themselves, but IMO they reflect
> >the sadly diminished expectations of the western left in the early
> >21st C
>
> What, are you arguing against voting for Kerry? :-)

As an aside, I don't envy those of you who have the option of voting in the US presidential election, because I see little to recommend voting for any of the major candidates.

> Seriously, if we were in the sort of *revolutionary* conditions that
> would make it *absurd* to be pressing for equal rights to marriage
> and employment as workers...

Seriously, yes, the US left is not in a "revolutionary condition"and --- my personal sympathies for same-sex rights and unemployed rights aside --- it never will be as long as it spends so much time on issues which are marginal to the vast majority of wage earners.

> and our allies were *clamoring* for
> outright *abolition* of marriage and wave slavery,

Considering how many proletarians are married and/or believe in recieving wages for wage labour, I don't think that will ever happen.

> I'm sure that
> those who are arguing for Kerry now would be arguing for Nader or his
> equivalent, while I wouldn't support Nader under such conditions.

Assuming that elections were the main avenue for revolutionary change? An unlikely prospect at any time, IMO.

regards,

Grant.