[lbo-talk] words for the black community

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sat Jul 3 14:22:37 PDT 2004

don't believe you can separate them, jon. the races are diverse and cut across classes.

i would suggest that issues of race supercede issues of race. because when problems become seriously divisive, race becomes the weapon of choice of the ruling class. and "minority" races of all classes suffer.

money, education and talent can be a buffer. as in nazi germany, for example, jews with one of all of the three often managed to escape. but without one or more of those three, a person is in deep trouble when push comes to shove.

when jews were evicted from countries, during the middle ages, nothing mattered but race.

in areas of the US, as reconstruction fell apart, these money, education and talent didn't matter when racists destroyed towns blacks build by and for themselves, for example. race was the dominant issue and nothing else mattered as the population was driven away. however, these three things did matter afterward in terms of survival.

the history of racism is terrible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Johanning" <jjohanning at igc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 10:09 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] words for the black community

: So to raise that hoary, ever-popular issue: is class more important
: than race in the U.S. I'm beginning to think so, but I don't know how
: to separate them clearly, and how to find a dependable answer if they
: can be separated.
:
: Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org
: Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful
: hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the
: Wise, King of Castile
: