[lbo-talk] "Stupid Straight Men on the Left"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 4 08:46:22 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>What you think of as "the majority" is actually a minority and vice
>versa. Those who, like yourself, can afford to concentrate on
>economy and economy alone in separation from oppressions based on
>race, gender, sexuality, etc. in the international division of labor
>are decidedly *a minority* in their respective nations as well as in
>the entire world.

Presumably people give priority to 'class' because it's all about access to property and the division of labor, but you can't talk about those things without quickly running into race, gender, sexuality, etc. Why are some occupations seen as "black" or "feminine" - or "black" and "feminine"? Why do black American households have so much less wealth than white ones at the same income level? Sure there's a lot more to racial & sexual oppression than these economic categories, but I don't see how you can talk about class in isolation from the rest.

Doug