[lbo-talk] "preaching to the choir"

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Sun Jul 4 12:29:55 PDT 2004

I think some people will decide not to vote for Bush, and some people will be politicized in a more radical way, and both of those things are good. I think that's actually the strength of the film - it addresses people at a lot of different levels, so for some people the revelation will be that Bush is an elitist pig, and for some it will be that the Democratic Party stands for almost nothing (like the scene in which no Senator supports the black Congresspeople from Florida, and a couple other moments when Daschle et al look pretty bad) and for some it will be the larger points about the class system in this country, for others the footage and analysis of the war. I think it will bring a lot of things into mainstream public discussion that have been confined to spaces like this listserv. That's about all a movie can do. I can't think of a piece of recent political propaganda that has accomplished more than that.

Liza