[lbo-talk] "preaching to the choir"

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Jul 4 12:12:17 PDT 2004

Liza Featherstone wrote:

> I just love how people who write for these marginal echo-chamber
> publications keep accusing Moore, whose movie is selling out in malls across
> the country, of "preaching to the choir!" If I'd ever overheard folks in
> malls and steakhouses or even hipster bars in Brooklyn -- all places I've
> now heard F911 discussed -- discussing Counterpunch or the Progressive, I
> might be a little less derisive of this line of "critique."

True, more "average" people are seeing this movie, but the folks gushing over it are mostly the usual suspects. This movie will probably radicalize a few more people, but what kind of long term change does this mean? Are we talking about people "seeing the light" and deciding to vote for the left wing of the Republican Party, or will this film radicalize people to reject electoral politics in order to work for direct action in their communities?

Chuck0