[lbo-talk] "preaching to the choir"

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 14:15:02 PDT 2004

It's still playing strong in Houston.

We went to a the 10:20pm showing at a large suburban metroplex theater that pulls in a full spectrum of lower middle class to upper middle class crowds, all in heavily GOP dominated districts. With six screens showing Spiderman II and the other 17 other screens taken up with Shrek, Potter, the NOtebook, etc., we didn't have a hard time getting a ticket, and at first we were one of about 5 couples in the theater, but by the time it started, it was almost sold out. The crowd was mostly white, but at least a quarter were black, very few, if any, hispanic, an even mix of young, middle and old. Some were already "members of the choir," but just as many appeared to be there out of curiosity.

There were laughs, gasps, crying, nervous laughter. By the end of the movie, there was applause and cheering, no jeering, no walk-outs.

I was concerned that after a week in play, we might run into pro-Bush Freepers or something, but none of that. However, I do wonder how this movie plays at one of the malls near Katy, Tx. THat's Bush Country Supreme, mostly white and hispanic middle and upper middle class. I was too chicken to find out for myself. I'm hoping to hear from co-workers who live out that way.

Our baby-sitter heard from that the movie was awful, and she said that was enough to make her and her other friends want to see it so that they could form their own opinions. Ah, the freshness of teen rebellion and curiosity! (I hope I remember that sentiment in a handful of years with my own.)

Overall, I'm very surprised at the amount of play and success this movie is having in this city and the surrounding 'burbs.

- Deborah R.

===== " How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks