[lbo-talk] More than 16,000 Wounded and Injured

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon Jul 5 10:16:11 PDT 2004

easy to see why the bad guys want to cut NOW to 1/2 hour.

from http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/newsArticle.asp?id=1782

PBS News Reports More than 16,000 Wounded and Injured from Iraq War Bill Moyers NOW with Bill Moyers http://www.pbs.org/now/printable/transcript325_full_print.html Posted 6/29/2004 5:25:00 PM

The national press missed this blockbuster on June 18: the Pentagon confirms more than 16,000 U.S. service members have been wounded or injured in the Iraq War. DoD failed to report 11,000 soldiers who were wounded or injured. The TV networks and newspapers failed to follow-up on this major scoop. As Steve Robinson of the National Gulf War Resource Center said, "They [the military] believe that by putting this information out, it's somehow going to affect public opion." Donald Rumsfeld must believe that good public relations is far more important than medical care for our wartime wounded.

NOW with Bill Moyers, Transcript, June 18, 2004

BRANCACCIO: Tonight on NOW... The true human cost of the war in Iraq. Are we getting the whole story from the Pentagon? BENJAMIN: The number of casualties from Operation Iraqi Freedom are exponentially higher, thousands and thousands of soldiers higher than what the Pentagon seems to say the casualty numbers for Operation Iraqi Freedom are. BRANCACCIO: And a question of genocide. In the Sudan, close to a million people facing starvation. Whole villages wiped out. FLINT: The countryside is empty. There's nobody there. It has been ethnically cleansed. BRANCACCIO: And is the democratic party about to lose the next generation of black and Hispanic voters? DYSON: These young people say, "Look, we see that there is little difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. We're trying to figure out where to fit in." BRANCACCIO: Cultural commentator Michael Eric Dyson.

continued at http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/newsArticle.asp?id=1782