[lbo-talk] words for the black community

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jul 6 09:31:36 PDT 2004

Perhaps the most wellknown strategic advice from Marx and Engels ( the big class emphasizing guys) to the working class is "Workers of the World, Unite !" Workers of all nationalities and races, unite and overthrow capitalism. Deny the capitalists the ancient strategy of "divide and rule."

On the other side of the class barricades the capitalist are steadliy looking for ways to divide the working class.

Historically, in the U.S. especially, but really world wide, the greatest success the bourgeoisie have had in dividing the workers of the world is through racism.

So, solving the problem of racism is the central problem for the communist workers to solve. And conversely, racism cannot be ended without communist revolution.

Resolving the class and race questions are inextricably intertwined (as they say :>)), especially in the U.S. ( and revolutionary change in the U.S. is central to world revolution , today).

Black and white, unite and fight. Workers of the West , it's our turn.

Charles

From: joanna bujes <

Jon Johanning wrote:

> So to raise that hoary, ever-popular issue: is class more important
> than race in the U.S. I'm beginning to think so, but I don't know how
> to separate them clearly, and how to find a dependable answer if they
> can be separated.

The bearded one said that the U.S. had to solve the race question before it could do anything. This is interesting inasmuch as Marxists insist that class trumps everything. And yet...how can there be any meaningful change of conciousness in this country without people understanding the reality and urgency of the public or common good? And how can they do so if they are unwilling the see that "public" or "common" includes quite literally everyone -- no matter their color, their gender, their sexual preference, their religion?

^^^^^^^