[lbo-talk] This is WAR, sons!

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 10:28:37 PDT 2004

> > So, comrades, how do we approach people like
> > this?
>
> Run, and hope he doesn't report you to the cops.

> John Lacny

He's not like that. I've known him for about a year and a half, and I don't get that kind of vibe from him (though he seems in favor of some kind of authoritarianism, which is odd considering that his father came here fleeing from the Greek junta, and that he remembers what that was like). Besides, at the end of our discussion, he smiled, gave me a beer, and said, "Isn't great that we can disagree in freedom?!" Instead of going into how corporate rule has commodified and narrowed whatever freedom we do enjoy (which is, as Noam repeatedly points out, unique in the developed world), or that we live in some kind of Matrix-like simulation of "reality" (did I just type that, or did I imagine that I typed that?), I popped the brew, clinked his bottle and said, "Yeah, man. Cheers."

Who knows? Maybe I made some inroads. But at the very least, he's talking to a guy who like him works a blue collar job, and who holds a radically different view of the war and of US imperialism. I don't conform to the Fox stereotype. And in addition to this, we can talk about hockey, basketball, and the best way to grill chicken -- y'know, everday shit. Carrol may believe that I should just wave this guy off, but he concedes too much for me to do that.

DP