[lbo-talk] The election falls on...

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jul 7 10:58:03 PDT 2004

Louis Proyect channels Matt Taibbi:

>...For those of you who didn't follow this story, Cobb snatched the
>Green Party nomination away from Nader last week largely through his
>embrace of the so-called "safe states" strategy...

Only those "who didn't follow this story" will be taken in by this lie. Cobb didn't "snatch the Green Party nomination away from Nader" for the simple reason that Nader didn't want the GP nomination and made it very clear that he would reject it if offered. Faced with this arrogant ultimatum, the GP did what any self-respecting party would: nominate its own candidate to campaign on its own program. And the "safe state strategy," for a party that can expect no electoral college votes anywhere, makes perfect sense in this election. The great majority of the Left protest vote is to be found in places like New York and California, where the case against the *competent* Imperial candidate can be made most clearly because the fear of throwing the election to Ubu and his Bushits is such obviously hysterical nonsense in those states. Ultraleftist naderism--the ill-concealed desire to inflict another four years of Ubu as just punishment on America and the world--is just the symmetrical counterpart of the Stalino/Socialdemocratico/Liberal Popular Front effort to plebiscite Kerry and squash independent Left political action once and for all.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)

Ubu is roadkill. Dick Cheney: "Go Fuck Yourself." The election falls on Fortinbras.