[lbo-talk] Re: Dude, Why are you fronting?

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jul 7 14:54:24 PDT 2004

> http://www.oilempire.us/michaelmoore.html#bittersweet
>
> The thesis that Moore puts forward is essentially this: the Saudis
> attacked
> the US on 9/11, Bush has business ties to the Saudis, therefore, Bush must
> be replaced in 2004.

Nonsense. I finally saw F9/11, and Moore nails it -- the oiligarchy is just another capitalist clan, out to make money. But the real villain isn't even a person, so much as a system of hierarchy and exploitation which allows the oiligarchy to rule -- as one of the interviewees in the film points out, you don't need to go to Iraq to find images of bombed-out neighborhoods, just look around deindustrialized Flint, Michigan.

Weirdly, the news clips of the bombing of Iraq had a visceral effect on me. I felt physically nauseated, almost had to leave the theater. Rage, horror, anguish. Every negative feeling I've ever had about the waking nightmare of the US Empire -- Peter Jackson's Eye of Mordor, burning like an oil well. (Moore makes another significant reference to the Ring movies, which I don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen the film yet). It was something I felt in 2003, when I saw just a minute of the ghastly Fox news coverage of the invasion -- neocons foaming at the mouth, the briefest glimpse into the mouth of Hell, a direct broadcast from the Hades News Network.

But kudos to Moore for making the connection, over and over again, between privilege and class, and geopolitics and ownership. Against the weapons of the oiligarchy, only the class solidarity of working people everywhere will do.

-- DRR