[lbo-talk] free speech: gone too far?

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Wed Jul 7 12:27:14 PDT 2004

I dunno. Get past the propaganda and the results seem pretty hopeful:

<< Should groups opposed to the war be allowed to demonstrate and protest against the war?

84% YES

Don't have the data (if they exist), but I'll bet this stacks up pretty well against 1967, 1952, or 1899 (never mind 1942 or 1917...)

In fact, take away "indecency" (which most Americans seem to equate with "sex") and I don't see evidence here that one would get a majority for any government restrictions on speech.

The data seem merely to be used as a peg for an anti-Stern blast.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:15:59 -0400