[lbo-talk] Re: How's this for avant-garde?

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 7 16:26:05 PDT 2004

Notorious German cannibal inspires feature film 06/07/2004...

--------

About twenty or twenty-five years ago, another German or maybe it was Dutch or Austrian took the sick and twisted mode of narcissistic expressionism (ala Francis Bacon, Egon Schiele, Edvard Munch, etc) to it's logical conclusion by performing operations on himself and having them photographed. These started off as minor and worked up to amputations. I think he evidentually killed himself doing one of these, but I forgot. The photos were sickening in their tormented and grisly way---much more effective than paintings. As performance and concept however, he lacked a much needed finesse, say like Joseph Beuys.

Maybe somebody on the list remembers.

Besides you can get the same sick nausating sensation watching the news.

CG