[lbo-talk] "I never saw anything like this."

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Jul 8 11:31:14 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen E Philion" <philion at hawaii.edu>

> --the US certainly done just about that in Iraq by now.

Not really. I imagine that insurgents would be a bit more hesitant if the US had, say, killed 1/4 of the population of Fallujah. Maybe not, though--after all, the Soviets killed a lot of Afghans in their unsuccessful quest to preserve their puppet regime. That might be a more relevant example than the US in Japan, the Germans in Poland, the Soviets in Hungary etc. Maybe even those occupations would've turned out differently if their had been as many well-known examples of successful insurgency via asymmetric warfare.

-- Luke