[lbo-talk] Michael Moore's Dilemma: Israel, Saudi Arabia, and John Kerry

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Jul 9 11:27:37 PDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Moore got it easy this time, because Fahrenheit 9/11 -- primarily an
> anti-Bush film -- got released after the majority of the nation has
> turned against Bush.

What makes you so confident about that? He is still essentially dead-even with Kerry in most polls, and there is nothing guaranteeing that he won't be substantially ahead of him by election time, depending on what events occur in the world.

> The same people who are lionizing him now won't be doing so if he
> makes a similar film about Washington and Tel Aviv. Front groups of
> the Democratic Party like MoveOn won't be calling on folks to organize
> house parties featuring a Q&A conference call with Moore.

What evidence do you have of MoveOn's position on Israel/Palestine?

> For LBO-talk supporters for Kerry (with the exception of Nathan), yes,
> but what of others? Left-wingers who are concentrating on the ABB
> politics right now may feel like they are part of the majority, but
> they are part of it only on the strength of the nationwide anti-Bush
> sentiment. After the Kerry victory, the majority of people who are
> "with" you are likely to go home, though we probably won't be exactly
> back to the position of leftists the day after 9/11.

What position was that? What "leftists" are you talking about? I'll like to make an intelligent comment on this passage, but it's much too vague to get any meaning out of. (Hey, I'm starting to sound like Carrol -- but he's right when he complains about people generalizing about "the Left.")

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile