[lbo-talk] Beyond Cosby: finding high quality analyses of contemporary racism and underclass sociology

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Jul 9 19:45:59 PDT 2004

Dwayne quoted:
>If students like the Hallway Hangers are to be
>motivated to achieve in school must not be at the
>expense of their self-esteem but in support of
>it.

I can't think of a more efficient way to violate this principle than these moronic testing regimes. Is it deliberate? I mean, I know it's deliberate to undermine the public schools in the interests of privatizers and tax cutters, but is it also deliberately trying to create a sense of failure? ('To make kids feel hopeless and willing take a job at any price' as someone--not particularly a radical--said at a meeting the other day).

Jenny Brown