[lbo-talk] Beyond Cosby: finding high quality analyses of contemporary racism and underclass sociology

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Jul 9 21:38:47 PDT 2004

The "testing regime" has many virtues: let me enumerate

-- creating the impression that there is a universal standard, truth, etc. -- taking away whatever little autonomy teachers have to suit curriculum to a particular

class and forcing them to teach to the test -- the notion that worth and social standing have something to do with passing these tests...

(which no one in private schools has to do) and the corollary that failing these tests

means you're a failure. -- the notion that there's a level playing field -- forcing teachers to choose sides and making it obvious whose side they have to choose to keep their job. -- putting money in the hands of bureaucrats and pedigreed academics who vouchsafe the virtue of these tests,

rather than paying teachers better, adding sports/art/crafts to curriculum,or maybe feeding the kids or taking them to the dentist. Have

you ever tried to learn something with a toothache?

I'd better stop now. My blood pressure...