[lbo-talk] Personal note

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jul 9 19:49:48 PDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Luke Weiger wrote:

> I am another day closer to death, and now have another legal means
> available to get their more quickly: alcohol.

Actually, most studies agree that moderate drinking actually increases life expectancy. Chiefly it reduces the risk of heart disease.

When this finding first came out in the late 70s, I remember a friend's profligate dad looking at the risk factor chart which accompanied the article, and which defined moderate drinking at the surprisingly generous level of three glasses of wine or shots of hard liquor per day, and saying, "Hey, if I drink more, I can smoke more!"

Michael