[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Jul 9 21:36:27 PDT 2004

> But it was a film about why the BUSH administration went to war with Iraq,
> how it got the population to go along with it (prevariganda), and the
> consequences of that war for Iraqis and u.s.ers. It wasn't a documentary
> about the history of u.s.-saudi policy.
>
> What is it with film/book reviews that insist on a film/book the creator
> didn't intend?
>
> There's a photo of Moore with a board next to him. Tacked to it are
colored
> sheets of paper labeled with each major scene of the movie. Yoshie's
> storyboard would probably require the frickin' Vietnam Veteran's
> memorial--both sides. The film would open in 10 theaters. After sitting
> through 10 hrs (free toothpicks with each ticket purchase) all 9 faithful
> viewers would stumble out of the theaters, blink in the early morning
> light, and wonder, "wuh? whaddoo I do next?"
>
> kelley

Ha! Quite so, Kel. While I think the Saudi part of the film was the weakest (esp given that Moore doesn't go into Israeli backing of the war), ultimately that was not the main thrust of "9/11." As I've said before, it's the class angle that's the film's chief strength, and the part, I suspect, that most Americans react most strongly to. Yoshie's scholar squirrel approach (grab and store every nut!) would make Fassbinder look like Mack Sennett. And what's with her take that Moore's fronting for the Dems? They don't come off terribly well in the film, esp Gore and Daschle.

DP