[lbo-talk] Editor of Russian Forbes murdered

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 12:40:37 PDT 2004

For my tastes, Dano, Klebnikov wrote about other people's money - a dangerous profession still in Russia. What he thought was open and honest journalism about "who owns Russia" bothed a lot of people. There is already a lot of fear here! Putin (he controls everything, right!!!???) has no reason to be happy with this murder. Klebnikov wrote on Russia in much the same way Putin wants to change it. I am personally very hurt with the loss of Klebnikov.

dano <dano at well.com> wrote:At 2:12 AM -0700 7/10/04, Chris Doss wrote:

>This is so sad. Klebnikov was one of the only people
>writing on Russia in English worth reading.

Heard the report this morning on NPR. They closed the piece with a mention that Putin is doing little to solve the murders. While trying not to wander into conspiracy theory territory, doesn't it serve Putin to have a little fear put into the souls of any working journalists? And if the oligarchs or org.crime do it for him, so much the better?