[lbo-talk] Where the jobs are...

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sat Jul 10 23:13:11 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dwayne Monroe" <idoru345 at yahoo.com>

Joanna asked:

I don't quite get the penultimate paragraph. What's the connection between "information technology" and outsourcing???

I think the connection is this: IT, and the global telecommunications grid it's a part of, makes remote command and control (aka, 'management') possible.

IT also enables capital to maintain extraordinarily complex - and widely distributed - process webs.

Quite. And yet the missing ingredient in all the reporting etc. is the development/'harmonization' of contract law at a global level over the past 20 years.

For those who are interested, A. Claire Cutler has written a fascinating, if dense, book on the evolution of private transnational business law. http://www.cup.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=052153397X

Ian