[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 11 12:50:52 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Leftists know enough to object to the hypothetical example as "the
>>filthiest anti-Semitic gutter talk," but not enough to object to
>>practically the same statement about Saudi money in a popular movie.
>>
>>Why the double standard?
>
>You've gone totally around the bend. Is it the ceaseless demands of
>doing a blog?

To elaborate a bit: Moore was talking about the Saudi elite, which runs an authoritarian/theocratic country, is very rich, and has deep ties to at least a portion of the U.S. ruling class. That's in no way analogous to "the Jews," a huge and diverse group of people that includes Judith Butler, Ariel Sharon, and Jerry Seinfeld.

I still don't get why you're defending Saudi Arabia. Would you apply the same critique to Tariq Ali, who's pretty hard on them in this 2001 interview with me <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Ali.html>?