[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Jul 11 13:35:17 PDT 2004

Sorry for over-posting -- I'll compensate tomorrow -- but I can't wait a day to answer this.

On Jul 11, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> "Director X: So I read where like the Jews have a trillion dollars in
> our banks of their money. What would happen if like one day they just
> pulled that trillion dollars out?
>
> Expert Y: A trillion dollars, that would be an enormous blow to the
> economy."
>
> Replacing the term "the Jews" with the term "the Israelis" or "the
> Zionists" in the same statement wouldn't make it acceptable to us.

What "trillion dollars" of "Jewish money" are you talking about? Do you have any evidence of any "Jewish cabal" using that kind of pot to control or influence world events?

That kind of talk is exactly what anti-Semites have been talking about for centuries: the sinister conspiracy of Jews, who have no values except money-grubbing, to rule the world by throwing their fabulous wealth around.

If you don't understand what the term "Jewish money" means in political discourse, you need an elementary course in the history of anti-Semitism. And maybe you need another one in humanist values. I don't care if I get baited as an "Israel-lover" for saying it, but throwing terms like that one around is just unacceptable.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.