[lbo-talk] Terrorist logic

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Mon Jul 12 09:48:46 PDT 2004

My sense is that the Bush administration is haunted by the Spanish example and has begun a campaign to persuade the American public, in the event of a election-eve attack, not to "capitulate" to the terrorists by throwing out the incumbents and voting in the opposition. In this sense, it may be seen as a form of cynical preemptive electioneering. Certainly, the announcements about the alerts I have seen have invariably been accompanied by solemn administration declarations that the American people would never allow themselves to be cowed by an attack (as presumably those "cowardly" Spaniards were), and would remain resolute, ie. would reject Kerry and reelect Bush. (Actually, as we know, the Spanish weren't so much retreating from a terrorist attack as they were punishing the Aznar government for its transparently deceitful efforts to shift the blame to the Basques and away from its failed Iraq policy.) I know I'm skirting the border of conspiracy land here, but it also wouldn't be beyond the administration to put out these alerts to counter the damaging assertion in MM's widely popular F9/11 that terrorism is being used as a bogey by the Bushites to further a deeper imperial and domestic agenda. The alerts are designed to remind the public that the threat is everpresent and real. They are so vague that it is difficult to attach any other meaning to them..

Marv Gandall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Wanzala" <jwanzala at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 12:07 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Terrorist logic