[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:40:18 PDT 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>>From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
>>>
>>>Backstabbers!
>>>
>>>America’s Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore
>>>By Mark Ames ( editor at exile.ru )
>>>
>>>(snip)
>>>
>>>He has single-handedly managed to turn the Right-Wing
>>>brutocracy into a pack of whiny fags ...
>>
>>Yikes. A real gem for the With-Friends-Like-This-Who-Needs-Enemies
>>Collection.
>
>How like one of those hyperpure lefties Ames is skewering!

Golly, I usually feel like a sellout. How flattering to be raised to the ranks of the left's hyperpure! However, Doug, it would seem you're ensnared in one of those false binaries you warn about -- i.e., that one is either (a) completely for Moore or (b) completely against him.

With my fondness for living life on the edge, I believe a more complex position can be maintained. Thus:

* On the one hand, I think Moore is an outstanding filmmaker. My initial remark about F911 was: "Nobody connects the dots like Moore does or puts more torque on a heartwrenching scene. A film for now and the ages."

* On the other hand, I don't think Moore is perfect. There is no question his movie should have included that mother-of-all-dots, Israel. (I hope Moore's forthcoming film on the US healthcare crisis gets around to mentioning, say, the insurance companies.)

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/