[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 11:22:09 PDT 2004

Snits wrote:
> I think everyone thought you were criticizing the eXile writer for
> using
> the phrase "whiny fags."

Speaking of whiny, in general:

As has been noted here before, it appears that in order for Mr. Moore to have put in, dealt with, addressed or otherwise facilitated every topic, country, act or variant suggested or demanded by his critics, the film would have had to have been a miniseries, at the very least.

Distribution, commitment to watching the series, general interest...all would have hit a fraction of the audience that is now seeing Moore's incarnation of the film.

Yes, I sat thru the film and afterwards thought, "oh wow, and then there was this that was left out, and this... and this... and ..." And the realization becomes that there is so much that is fundamentally wrong with the current administration and with the processes around it that you finally wonder, "where does one begin!"

So, if my choice is to have a well-intellectualized miniseries running on PBS with an audience that may miss at least one episode or more, if they watch at all, and said audience is probably a majority white middle/upper class segment OR sitting in a theater and seeing people of every color, make, model or economic strata taking even some of this in, my choice is the film. There's nothing wrong with the miniseries, and I would encourage someone to pursue it, but in terms of slapping people awake, the impact of the Moore film is undeniable and should be utilized as a starting point - not an ending point - for bringing many diverse people together and changing our government.

Otherwise, whine away and turn everyone off. That's the best way to convince people to stay away from the polls come November.

- Deborah R.

===== "The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut