[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Jul 13 12:17:51 PDT 2004

At 05:21 AM 7/13/2004, Chris Doss wrote:
>"Michael Moore: So
>I read where like the Saudis have a trillion
>dollars in our banks of their money. What would happen
>if like one
>day they just pulled that trillion dollars out?"
>---
>I haven't seen the movie, but doesn't "Saudis" refer
>to the House of Saud, not people who live in Saudi
>Arabia? It's like using the word "Kremlin." It doesn't
>mean "the Russians."

That depends on your perspective. If you are looking for something to disparage the film and/or Moore over you take it as meaning everyone in Saudi Arabia. If you wish to give Moore the benefit of the doubt you can take it as meaning the specific Saudis in the royal family that are part of the focus of the film. I tend toward the latter because it seems more consistent with the rest of the films content. I was concerned that people would get the idea that the film was anti-Arab but it seems some people would rather see it as anti-Saudi, not anti-Saudi ruling elite, but just good old anti-Saudi. It's actually kind of sad to see intelligent people bickering over something of this nature but everyone has the right to fixate on whatever pleases them.

John Thornton