[lbo-talk] Americas Leftists, Michael Moore, and Ralph Nader

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Jul 13 16:05:16 PDT 2004

At 03:32 PM 7/13/2004, you wrote:

>America has no organized left, unlike in India and Italy, to take just two
>examples. Many American leftists do behave exactly as Mark Ames charges
>them, but not toward Michael Moore, (who is worshipped by most American
>leftists as LBO-talk postings serve as evidence), but toward Ralph Nader.
>
>--
>Yoshie

You want to come over to see the altar I put together to Moore? It's where I do my heavy duty worshipping. I was thinking about adding some incense but with the candles surrounding it already that idea seemed just plain silly. Can you acknowledge my position on Moore as somewhere between hating and worshipping him? Maybe something along the lines of enjoying this last film, being glad there do not seem to be any egregious factual errors, and hoping that this film will serve as just a little prod towards at least a few people becoming more aware of their political landscape. No grand hopes for serious shifting of consciousness. Just a bit of hope a few will sit up and take notice. How does someone work themselves into such a froth over this film and/or Michael Moore in particular? I mean it is just a film by one guy and isn't going to make any difference three years from now is it? I'm not belittling his effort, just trying to be realistic. Unless it's followed up by something of substance it is just a film.

John Thornton