[lbo-talk] The Politics of Fear

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Jul 14 06:31:51 PDT 2004

Yoshie wrote:

> Even if you think it a great idea to vote for John Kerry, there
> still is no reason not to challenge him to answer the question now:
> when will you bring the troops home?
--------------------------------------------- I agree with you: he should be challenged. But the issue, as we both recognize, is how he can best be challenged - by organizing the ranks within the Democratic party, which are to the left of Kerry on Iraq, or standing outside and being perceived by them, rightly or wrongly, as, at best, irrelevant, and, at worst, a barrier to ousting Bush. You don't believe people like yourself with your understanding, experience, and energy would not make a difference in helping fashion an effective Democratic left in conjunction with the Dean and Kucinich supporters? Doesn't the absence of people like yourself contribute to the aimlessness of liberal Democratic discontent with the DLC leadership?

Ah well, we could rerun this old historical debate indefinitely, which ultimately depends on whether you think the mass of the population is ready to break with its traditional party, or still has confidence in it - or at least confidence that it is reformable. Of course, I think the latter is where we're still at in the case of the DP and social democratic parties, and it would take a sharp fall in living standards to create the conditions where your approach could be seen as relevant. But I respect your commitment to the possibilities you currently see.

Marv Gandall