[lbo-talk] Capitalism & Psychoanalysis

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 15 08:39:15 PDT 2004

Freud in his famous encyclopedia article said that psychoanalysis was at once a theory of mind, a therapy, and a heuristic. All three turned on the notion of behavioral influences of which the actor was not aware -- the dynamic unconscious. That the ucs. was social as well as individual went without saying (so to speak) but was emphasized especially by the Kleinians -- and in his own way by Lacan. But curiously, in spite of various strains of Freudo-Marxism, there do not seem to have been many thorough-going attempts to descry what might be called unconscious social influences. The poets have usually got there first.

Joanna's "Making people conscious of the multitude of ways they avoid being in the present" is as Yoshie says "a decent summary of psychoanalysis," but bringing one into the present is precisely a matter of recognizing responsibility for the future. By becoming aware of hitherto unrecognized determinants on my behavior, I can (must) then decide to act that way -- or not. (In another way, psychoanalysis says with Sartre, "We were never so free as under the Occupation.") Freud and Marx both counsel a "hermeneutics of suspicion" -- becoming aware that what seems to be going on is not exactly what is going on -- and adjusting one's behavior accordingly. --CGE