[lbo-talk] Capitalism & Psychoanalysis

Darrin Kowitz d0kowitz at wmich.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:30:04 PDT 2004

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

"But curiously, in spite of various strains of Freudo-Marxism, there do not seem to have been many thorough-going attempts to descry what might be called unconscious social influences. The poets have usually got there first."

I've always been interested in fusing Jung with Sociology. It seems to me that the "Collective Unconscious" has a great potential for sociological, particularly Marxist or critical, analysis. While the notion of "archetypes" is fascinating and resembles in many ways the varying defintions of "social structures", Jungian psychology is a very different flavor than most sociologists seem to prefer (hence why poets usually get there first). I have one book, "Archetypal Explorations: Towards an Archetypal Sociology" by David Gray, which relates Jungian psychology to Marx, Durkheim, Mead, and the rest of the obligitory crowd. It's shallow, but good for a sufrace scratcher. Anyone else ever thought about this or have any input?

Darrin Kowitz