[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jul 16 10:23:38 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>I actually advocate that people supporting Kerry and the Dems give
>money to Americans Coming Together, the labor-enviro-progressive
>voter turnout organization.
>Nathan

-That's better than giving to an individual Democratic candidate, but -I thought that ACT's merit, if there is any, is that "they" (liberal -rich guys like Soros) give "us" (activists) money to register voters, -not the other way around.

It's nice that the rich guys gave ACT a nice kitty to kick off their efforts to supplement the union money, but there are a lot more of us collectively than the few rich billionaires who might play the game. And the more money regular folks give, the less likely it is that ideosyncratic whims of big donors will influence the direction of ACT.

Lefties should be esctatic at ACT's plans for mobilizing for this election-- if only with the process of mass mobilization if not with the Dems they support. Look at their plan: http://www.actforvictory.org/act.php/home/content/the_plan

They want to put 25,000 organizers out in the field, mobilize an additional 200,000 volunteers nearer to election day, and knock on a goal of 10 million doors by November.

This is mass outreach on a scale never before done in this country.

Nathan