[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jul 16 12:31:50 PDT 2004

Yoshie-- Why this focus on monetary contributions? Take Brad DeLong for example-- he spends a lot of time writing long articles on his blog attacking the Bush administration. The unpaid time involved in that effort is worth quite a large amount of money.

I think the mania to give money among Deaniacs and Kossacks (dailykos.com readers) as a political act is kind of endearing, but it's hardly the key measure of political mobilization.

Hell, I've been defending voting Democratic for years but I've never made a fetish of campaigning FOR Democrats. I just thought leftists who campaigned against them were doing positive damage and undermining progressives who were taking care of electoral work.

For those of us who spend most of their time on non-electoral politics-- legislative campaigns, union organizing drives, etc. -- we are happy that other people dedicate their time to electoral work, so we don't have to as much. I don't diss them for not working on my issues-- as long as they don't actively undermine that work-- and I don't expect anyone to diss me for not concentrating on electoral work as my main activity.

Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

B. wrote:

>How much time did you spend looking up LBO talk contributors on that
>fund raising website?

About 2-3 minutes, as I looked up only the names of ABBNites who posted in the last couple of weeks (there aren't that many, though they are loud and obnoxious), so stealth ABBNites lurking here -- plus those who do not use their full names for posting here -- have escaped my research.

You know the old saying "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is," and I was initially curious about if Brad DeLong, a Berkeley professor who has no right to plead abject poverty, has given anything to any Democratic candidate, as it was recently brought to PEN-l attention that he was flogging Barbara Ehrenreich on his blog for supporting Nader FOUR YEARS AGO: <http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2004_archives/001173.html>. Searching Fundrace.org for both "Brad DeLong" and "Brad De Long" returned no result. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/> ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk