[lbo-talk] Re: South Africa: National Democratic Revolution

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:31:32 PDT 2004

>Todd Archer wrote:
>
>>This report leaves me feeling a bit disquieted. It does mention the
>>difficulty of trying to operate within the matrix of global capitalism,
>>but it seems so "quiet" about liberal bourgeois economics after going on
>>about the liberal SA constitution. And that constitution hardly seems
>>terribly radical, a fart's worth in a windstorm. No talk about bourgeois
>>rights vs. proletarian rights. Just looks uncomfortably as though they're
>>fronting for a somewhat left-liberal, maybe soc-dem (but hardly radical)
>>Mbeki.
>>
>>Sure wish I could hear Patrick respond to this.
>>
>>Todd

It is interesting that the academic Patrick Bond's analysis gets spread through the US left press quite a bit. In my view it tends to discredit him. I think he is a bit too much interested in a political line of a smaller, marginalized -- as Nzimande might say "ultra-left" -- political party than the actual conditions under which the majority of South Africans struggle in SA and up against gloabl capitlaism. I doubt very much that if the political forces to which Bond aligns himself were in power that they would do anything different or, if they did, that they would survive. Perhaps that is the point?

I'd be more interested in seeing MR actually reproduce the argument Nzimande makes in a sympathetic manner.

Take care,

Joel Wendland

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/