[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 17 18:08:13 PDT 2004

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com, Sat Jul 17 06:25:34 PDT 2004: <snip>
>--- Yoshie wrote:
>[Regarding possible Democratic supporters:]
> > if there
>> is such an urgency, shouldn't it motivate them to give a lot -- in
>> money or time or both -- to at least one Democratic candidate's
>> presidential campaign in particular or the Democratic Party in
>> general?
>
>[and regarding ABBites:]
>
>> Is there anything that ABBNites think worth doing?
>
>Yoshie, why the obsessive demand that if someone is so frustrated or
>focused about removing Bush that they *must* give money to prove the
>passion of their beliefs?

Look at the part between the dashes in the sentence you quote above. Obviously, you can prove your passion by giving money or time or both. I mentioned money because, as the subject line and the first sentence of my first posting in the thread show, the topic of my posting concerns what Fundrace.org <http://www.fundrace.org/> reveals as a matter of public records filed with the FEC. Another reason that I asked about money is precisely because of what you say yourself:

>And for many of us with very active professional lives, families and
>children, time is more valuable than money.

The socio-economic strata of people who subscribe to this kind of discussion listserv -- with the exception of me, Chuck0 (if he is still unemployed), Dennis (if his economic situation is still the same as what he talked about the last time he mentioned it), and Brian (if he is economically supporting his unemployed husband) -- would probably find it easier for them to give money than time, especially judging by what a number of subscribers have said about spending time on activism (most indicated that they didn't think they had time for that).

BTW, though what I say below does not apply to giving to the Democratic Party or its individual candidates' political machines or its front groups, as none of them is a dues-gathering membership organization, as a general principle, it is not true that the poor -- _unless they are literally penniless_ -- can't or won't be able to give money, and that's what labor organizers like Dolores Huerta and welfare rights organizers like Theresa Funiciello have emphasized. Unless workers pay dues to build their own organizations and control them, they become dependent upon organizations that are subsidized and controlled by rich philanthropists (directly or indirectly through foundations). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>