[lbo-talk] LBO-talk Fundrace

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 17 19:19:04 PDT 2004

B. docile_body at yahoo.com, Sat Jul 17 18:39:41 PDT 2004: <snip>
>Yoshie wrote:
>
>"The socio-economic strata of people who subscribe to this kind of
>discussion listserv -- with the exception of me, Chuck0 (if he is
>still unemployed), Dennis (if his economic situation is still the
>same as what he talked about the last time he mentioned it), and
>Brian (if he is economically supporting his unemployed husband) --
>would probably find it easier for them to give money than time,
>especially judging by what a number of subscribers have said about
>spending time on activism (most indicated that they didn't think
>they had time for that)."
>
>This is so wierd, and so wrong, that I am not even sure how to approach it.
>
>First of all, there are a lot of "if"'s in what you wrote above.
>Secondly, one of the nice things about list servs is that,
>generally, you are forced to debate an idea based on its merits [or
>lack of them], without ad hominem recourse to a speaker's
>economic/cultural/political background.

If we are talking about mathematics, what we are doing politically -- giving time or money or both or nothing -- is irrelevant, but if we are talking about domestic politics, that seems to me to be highly relevant information. Why should I care about your opinion if you do not think that your opinion is good enough for you to act on it?

>That is, unless you start snooping around to "out" them, or
>something, which is something it seems you're quite ready to do --
>all in defense of Nader, no less! Talk about invasive.

Some here and elsewhere have made much of information that several donors to the Nader/Camejo campaign are Republicans. Is that invasion of the privacy of the said Republican donors? I don't think so, and neither do you.

If you are concerned about the FEC records being so readily available, you ought to complain to Fundrace.org (though I doubt that you can shut it down, since information is meant to be available to the public by law), for as long as the website exists, information is available through it, whether anyone brings it up here.

>PS By the way, there is plenty of info on people out there that is
>"public record." I am not sure to what extent even info on myself is
>"public record."

The FEC records are documents meant for public scrutiny. Let's say that we agree not to post here any other kind of "public record." -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>