[lbo-talk] Left Behind: Race and the Second Amendment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 18 09:31:10 PDT 2004

Jordan Hayes wrote:

>The key word in Doug's quip above is "we" -- Doug is not part of the
>"violent crime class" in the US, and neither are a) most people and b)
>most gun owners. It's a serious mistake to say "we" in that situation
>in the same way that it's a mistake to say "we" when referring to
>foreign policy initiatives (please stop saying "We killed some more
>civilians in Iraq today").

I'm using "we" to reflect the fact that the society you & I and most listmembers live in produces more people who shoot each other than just about any other on earth. Why is that? Moore touched on a lot of possible answers - blowback from imperial war, atomization, competitiveness. It's not easy to settle on one, and I like the way he left it rather open.

Doug