[lbo-talk] Needed: A Head Count

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 18 10:23:07 PDT 2004

The main reason for campaigning for anybody but Bush/Kerry is that the final tally will provide a partial head count of our (the left's) _immediate_* constituency, and that seems to me rather more important than who occupies the White House next January 20.

Carrol

*Constituencies need to be envisaged in terms of concentric circles. Beyond our immediate constituency of those who see "U.S. Out of Iraq" as _the_ issue are all those (approaching half the population now) who, while not yet ready to translate the principle into practice, nevertheless accept it passively. As we can make resistance more visible, more of those passive supporters will gain the courage to join us. And with that growth we can expand the struggle to issues beyond the mobilizing issue of withdrawal from Iraq.