[lbo-talk] Left Behind: Race and the Second Amendment

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Jul 18 20:39:27 PDT 2004

> As I said before, I ask out of curiosity, not hostility. I genuinely wanna
> know how many LBOers have fired off live rounds, and if they have, how did
> they feel about it. Nothing to do with "cred" or neo-McCarthyite hounding
> (though I knew some here would see it that way, no matter how gently I put
> it). Relax, brother. If you hate guns, th's cool.
>
> DP

As a woods dweller, I've fired off several hundred rounds. Even shot a few squirrels--thought they were destroying the insulation in my father's attic, so they had to go (shooting squirrels isn't fun). I'm also very much in favor of stringent gun control. Sure wouldn't hurt much, though it might slightly dim the revolutionary hopes of a few politic fanatics (or should I say fantasists?) left and right.

BTW: Canada strikes me as a terrible counterexample. It's true (or at least half-true) that every Candadian owns a rifle, but handguns are very tightly regulated.

-- Luke