[lbo-talk] Re: What the Ruling Class Want to Get: A Green Light

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jul 19 08:36:36 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> History. I recommend reading up on the subject, especially the part
>> about how the ruling class uses reformism to stave off the rabble.
>

> Yeah, they did that in the 30s, when capitalism looked to be imploding,
> the USSR was a mighty rival and the CP was organizing from Harlem to
> Alabama. Now, where's the crisis? Where's the troublesome rabble?

I suspect that the ruling class doesn't see any crisis, especially with any rabble threatening their comfortable system. You know, they are still caught up in that "end of history" garbage, that uniques blend of American exceptionalism and the idea that the American capitalist state is the pinnacle of evolution. And I suspect that the American Matrix has lulled many in the ruling class into a false sense of security.

I'll bet that a few long range thinkers in the ruling class see the gathering storm clouds. They can clearly see the limits of U.S. power with the ongoing debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan. They can see the alarming phenomenon around the world where countries thumb their noses at the USA.

I think we're headed for a powder keg situation, if we aren't there already. I have a friend who is stuck in Bolivia right now because of the general strike there. He tells me that the situation in Peru and Bolivia is explosive in a positive way. My liberal friends in Kansas City report that their showings of the Outfoxed video played to overflowing house parties. They are astounded that so many people are "upset" and are wondering what to do with these folks.

Everybody on this list knows about the anti-globalization movement and other social change movements that have exploded over the past five years. The energy from that is not dissipating and I suspect is playing off the growing hostility towards Bush, as well as the general hostility and distrust of American institutions.

I'm also of the mind that a repeat of 1968 is about to happen for the younger generation. I think the dot-com crash and the bad economy woke up many young people to the fact that there will no longer be an easy entry to the middle class. When a lifetime of working at Applebee's or some stupid office looms in front of you, you start to get radicalized. I'm certainly seeing this groundswell of youth revolt out here in the Midwest. Last night I was talking to these handsome young suburban boys about community organizing.

I think there are many other signs that the rabble are getting angry. The move by people to leave the parties and register independent, or not vote at all. Those trips to Canada to buy prescription drugs. The fact that Michael Moore's video is about to break the $100 million mark. The fact that the social safety net can't be cut anymore because it no longer exists. People understand that they are spinning their wheels while the rich get richer.

I think thing will explode sooner or later. If Kerry wins he will be busy trying to stave this off, but Bush getting re-elected will only make it happen sooner.

Chuck