[lbo-talk] 2d Amendment/Rule of Law (Was: The curse of literacy)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jul 19 10:44:45 PDT 2004

> I don't know from the legislative history. But when it
> comes to law, if the text is clear, I'm sort of a
> textualist. Meaning that the law is what the text of
> the law says.

The law says that there are two militiae, the organized one and the unorganized one.

Is that clear enough in the text?

> In addition, also more important than legislative
> history, is the history of interpetation -- precedent
> -- which is also law, unlike legislative history, In
> the almost 70 years since Miller, not one appeals
> court has deviated a hair from the collective rights
> interpretation.

What about US vs. Emmerson in the 5th? [Counter that Parker's "this is just dicta" elided for the sake of speedy postings] ...

I think that the Supremes haven't been asked since Miller, and I look forward to someone stepping up to the plate sometime in the future with a good case that makes them say something more useful than the text of Miller.

/jordan