[lbo-talk] Pennsylvania poll

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 19 14:40:40 PDT 2004

I just got handed the results of a Quinnipiac University poll of Pennsylvania. (I don't know if this is on the Internet, and don't have time to look right now.) I don't see a margin of error here, but usually the margins have been 3 percent. In this poll Kerry leads Bush 46-41 with 5 percent for Nader and 7 percent for undecided. Keeping in mind that polls have been saying that undecideds are breaking for Kerry, this is good news for Kerry in this critical state that he must win to win the election. The poll shows both a bounce for the choice of Edwards as a running mate and a nine-point gain for Kerry among union households in less than a month (union households favor Kerry 58-32).

Of somewhat more interest to those on the list, however, the poll also notes majority job disapproval for Bush (52-45) and for the war in Iraq. To the question "Do you think going to war with Iraq was the right thing for the United States to do or the wrong thing?" voters answered 51% wrong thing, 43% right thing. Among union households, the opinion on the war was 61% wrong thing, 35% right thing. Have people seen many polls that compare union members' attitudes on the war to those of the general population? I think this is the first I've seen, and I found it pleasantly surprising. Perhaps it means that some unions' positions on the war are actually having an effect on the rank-and-file? Or perhaps it reflects general distaste for Bush among union members?

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!