[lbo-talk] Re: uh oh dept.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 19 15:24:04 PDT 2004

frank scott wrote:

>when someone is attacked, robbed, burglarized or suffers any of the even
>more numerous and perhaps less dramatic tribulations of life, like
>arguments with neighbors that get close to violence, etc., they do not
>call 911 to get a teacher, or a professor, or even a social
>worker...although, at times, the police action involves all those
>qualities and more, at higher personal risk, and much lower salary...

A couple of years ago, I was harassed by a loony woman, who sent over 200 emails and left over two hours worth of voicemails, some delivered at 3 AM, over the course of several weeks. No fan of the cops, I dragged my feet about calling in the NYPD, but once I did, the detective asked me, "Do you want her arrested?" (which sounded like the most beautiful words I'd heard in a long time, I have to admit). I said no, not yet, I just want her to stop. He called her and she did. For a couple of days afterwards, I loved the NYPD.

So, Cde Cox, was I wrong to call the cops in this case?

Doug