[lbo-talk] 2d Amendment/Rule of Law (Was: The curse of literacy)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Jul 19 20:59:26 PDT 2004

>If the Framers meant to support the
>> individual
>> rights interpretation, they shoulda said so.
>>
>> But of course "they" did, in the most unequivocal
>> terms.
>> The very first phrase of the Constitution--"*We* the
>> people"--
>> defines "people" as a plural, not a collective,
>> noun.
>
>A distinction that I am sure was much discussed in the
>ratification debate, only it seems to have been
>somehwo omitted from, by Library of America set, The
Debate On The Constitution. . . .

Why discuss what anyone [except the lawyers] learned in elementary school--that in the English language [except from the the filthy mouths of Kings and Queens] the word "we" is plural?

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos