[lbo-talk] 2d Amendment/Rule of Law (Was: The curse of literacy)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Jul 23 22:19:10 PDT 2004

Justin wrote:

"No, meaning is as unstable as it is whereever. Believe you me I know better than you how unstable or uncertain it is in law. That's why they pay me all this money. But Rorty's point is that you cannot, in democracy, in a free society, make your laws based on the idea that some highly contentious philosophical theory, like deconstructionism or Quinean indeterminacy of translation or whatever is right..."

This is pure obfuscation. It is a question of syntax and therefore absolutely clear. In the US Constitution the word "people" is plural and not collective and is defined as such in the very first word ("We") of the document. If judges ignore that fact, this simply is additional proof of how intellectually corrupt the legal game is under capitalism. Likewise, a preliminary rhetorical subordinate clause ("A well-regulated militia...") cannot cancel the clear meaning of a well-formed principal clause ("The right of the people...").

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040724/0a7d4403/attachment.htm>