[lbo-talk] a plug for nathan newman

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jul 20 08:38:10 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> So in your utopia there'd be no schools - you don't want better schools,
> but no schools - and I'm guessing no health care either, since there'd
> be no financing mechanism and no workers.

Of course there will be no schools! We don't need schools to learn, in fact they interfere and inhibit the pearning process. There has been a movement against schooling dating back over a century. There is an entire network of "unschools" plus a bigger network of secular homeschoolers. Advocating the abolition of schools is not a wide-eyed utopian dream--tens of thousands of average working people are involved everyday in projects that aim to teach learning outside of a schooling context. And I don't need to reiterate all of the problems with schools, which are well discussed in the literature.

Chuck0