[lbo-talk] a plug for nathan newman

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Jul 20 13:28:15 PDT 2004

with all due respect for what's been written ... and what hasn't ... some kids do better in schools and some don't. that's the problem with black/white thinking. no system has all the answers.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:38 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] a plug for nathan newman

: Doug Henwood wrote:
:
: > So in your utopia there'd be no schools - you don't want better schools,
: > but no schools - and I'm guessing no health care either, since there'd
: > be no financing mechanism and no workers.
:
: Of course there will be no schools! We don't need schools to learn, in
: fact they interfere and inhibit the pearning process. There has been a
: movement against schooling dating back over a century. There is an
: entire network of "unschools" plus a bigger network of secular
: homeschoolers. Advocating the abolition of schools is not a wide-eyed
: utopian dream--tens of thousands of average working people are involved
: everyday in projects that aim to teach learning outside of a schooling
: context. And I don't need to reiterate all of the problems with schools,
: which are well discussed in the literature.
:
: Chuck0
: