[lbo-talk] False Statement Statute

jared unended at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 16:34:37 PDT 2004

"It seems self-evident that section 1001 is intended to promote the smooth functioning of government agencies and the expeditious processing of the government's business by ensuring that those who deal with the government furnish information on which the government confidently may rely. To this end, section 1001 in and of itself constitutes a blanket proscription against the making of false statements to federal agencies. Thus, while section 1001 prohibits falsification in connection with documents that persons are required by law to file with agencies of the federal government, ... its prohibitory sweep is not limited to such documents. The statute equally forbids falsification of any other statement, whether or not legally required, made to a federal agency."--U.S. v. Arcadipane, 41 F.3d 1 (1st Cir. 1994).

It's punishable by fine or up to 5 (!) years in prison. I'd say Chalabi and his INC minions could be in some trouble.

I wonder if it counts if you make the false statements to a federal agency while being tortured by it.

--Jared